China FI (Financial Institution) Credit Underwriter (SVP)
Citi continues to enhance its business control and governance framework by building out Institutional Credit Management (ICM), a new function in the 1st Line of Defense, to house and consistently manage credit risk activities performed across its Institutional Client Group organization. ICM’s objective is to provide integrated “end-to-end” credit underwriting, identification, measurement, management, and monitoring for wholesale credit risk across the enterprise. Within ICM, the Credit Underwriting function (ICM-UW) provides analysis, greenlight, underwriting, first-line-of-defense credit approval and subsequent credit monitoring across all ICG wholesale credit businesses including Banking, Capital Markets, and Advisory (BCMA), Global Structured Products, Financings, and Securitizations (GSP-F&S), Treasury & Trade Services (TTS), Markets, and Securities Services (MSS).
The China Financial Institution Credit Underwriter (“China FI Underwriter”) covers large and complex relationships within the Greater China FI Cluster (mainly China and Hong Kong), being responsible for all underwriting activities, in partnership with BCMA and Risk. This role reports directly to the Greater China FI/FI Credit Underwriting Cluster Head.
Executes, aligned with global and regional strategies, all responsibilities regarding underwriting, including, but not limited to:
- Adoption of leading practices in credit analysis, underwriting, and monitoring, including the end-to-end underwriting process, from early origination discussions, to development of credit approval memos, and senior approval forums
- Facilitate relationships with key clients in Banking and Risk and with key Regulators, Internal Audit, and control functions
- Support the ICM Underwriting Heads for Corporate and FI Credit Underwriting leadership on strategic initiatives/projects
- Support VOE initiatives
SPECIFIC RISK EXPERIENCE:
- Senior credit approval authority (or similar designation) covering large and complex underwritings, capital commitments, derivatives with multi-industry experience
- Experience in and exposure to global credit risk management standards
- Ability to understand capital markets products and complex financing and product structures
- Ability to provide strategic insights and strong sensitivity to macro and regulatory issues, and impact of such issues on the various Risk families, including operational and franchise risks
- Able to discuss and address issues associated with the allocation of risk assets and risk capital in partnership with banking and product organizations
CLIENT RELATIONSHIPS / BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP:
- Proven ability to understand nuances of local markets, local regulation, and the capabilities and practices of competitors
- Navigates organizational complexity and breaks silos
- Creates and sustains a network of strong partnerships with the business in all segments & geographies and other risk functions
- Provides well-reasoned, balanced assessments of risk/return trade-offs associated with transactions and client relationships
- Proven track record of partnering with global peers in leveraging and implementation of best practices
- 10+ years risk/risk-related credit work experience in banking/financial institutions
- Credit Officer with strong aspirations to advance to SCO level.
- Sound knowledge of Citi’s credit policies and procedures will be an advantage.
- Proven ability to effectively engage with regulators and internal control functions including Internal Audit and Fundamental Credit Risk as well as with external audit
- Demonstrates strong ethics and integrity
- Ability to see the ‘big picture’ in a complex environment
- Can make decisions under pressure and short timeline
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills. Active listening skills.
- Demonstrated influencing and negotiating ability, resolve conflicts amongst various constituencies
- Excellent presentation skills – adept at presenting effectively to audiences of various sizes and various constituencies
Job Family Group: