Position Title: English Language Learner (ELL) Specialist
Supervisor: Director of Student Support Services Coordinator and Division Principal
The ELL Specialist works with the Learning Support Specialists and Academic Counselors to develop the learning environment at Concordia. The ELL Specialist supports identified language learners through co teaching or small-group instruction. The ELL Specialist provides professional development to individual teachers, grade-level teams, the entire faculty, and parents.
▪ Degree, license or certificate in supporting language learners
▪ Masters or advanced degree (preferred)
▪ Native English speaker
▪ Minimum 2 years successful teaching full-time in an ELL program
▪ Working in an international school setting and familiarity with the American educational system
▪ Working successfully with a culturally diverse population
▪ TC Workshop Experience- willing to go to TC Summer Institute
▪ Experience with co-teaching and/or parallel team-teaching
▪ Classroom inclusion experience
▪ Demonstrates a passion for teacher and student success.
▪ Committed to teamwork and collaboration both within and across divisions.
▪ A highly skilled teacher, grounded in knowledge of content and current best practice strategies related to teaching and learning. Able to select appropriate support model to match student need.
▪ Demonstrates knowledge of the developmental and language proficiency needs of students in the age group he/she is serving.
▪ Knowledge of and experience in using a variety of assessments and applying differentiated learning techniques.
▪ Effective communicator within a diverse community, both orally and in writing.
▪ Exhibits leadership skills that enable school reform efforts.
▪ Able to articulate a vision and manageable action steps to enable systemic change.
▪ Demonstrates self-discipline and exemplary organizational skills.
▪ Emotionally intelligent, able to balance ambition with humility and effectively build relationships.
▪ Demonstrates a positive, optimistic, can-do attitude.
▪ Demonstrates commitment to school improvement.
▪ Ability to quickly attain proficiency in required technology (e.g. Aspen, Canvas, Atlas Rubicon, Scholastic Reading Inventory.)
▪ Ability to speak and understand a different language
▪ Understands the components of effective coaching.
▪ Familiar with administering ELL assessments – especially the WIDA
▪ Able to use data to inform instruction and in decision making in entry/exit of program
▪ As a school grounded in the Christian faith, we hire Christian teachers and administrators. Concordia seeks to hire candidates who are able to model their faith, are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality, and who are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.
▪ On regular school days, on duty between 7:45AM and 3:45PM, not inclusive of activities and meetings.
▪ Other duties as assigned.
Job Specific Expectations
· Meet or exceed the competency standards laid out in the Key Areas of Responsibility below.
· Encourage teachers, help them develop their competencies, and introduce them to new resources and methods to facilitate the student learning process.
· Work with students alongside of teachers in the classroom and direct students in activities.
· Plan differentiated lessons according to student language levels, teach targeted language lessons, assess and report on student progress.
· Promote a commonly held vision for the school as developed through regular meetings with internal stakeholders.
· Work collaboratively with individual teachers and grade level teams towards school wide professional development goals.
· Provide school-wide support, inclusive of parents, in assigned areas; being a first point of contact within the division regarding teaching initiatives within those areas.
· Desire and ability to design, create and present professional development opportunities to the staff.
· Desire and ability to organize projects, build coalitions, and move projects forward.
· Be considered by colleagues as the go-to person for questions related to assigned areas.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
(Based upon the work of Charlotte Danielson’s Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching)
- Planning and Preparation
- Demonstrate knowledge of current trends in specialty area and professional development
- Demonstrate knowledge of the school’s program, and levels of teacher skill in delivering that program
- Establish goals for the instructional support program appropriate to the setting and the teachers served
- Demonstrate knowledge of resources, both within and beyond the school
- Plan the instructional support program, integrated with the overall school program
- Develop a plan to evaluate the instructional support program
- The Environment
- Create an environment of trust and respect
- Establish a culture for ongoing instructional improvement
- Establish clear procedures for teachers to gain access to instructional support
- Establish and maintain norms of behavior for professional interactions
- Delivery of Service
- Collaborate with teachers in the design of instructional units and lessons
- Engage teachers in learning new instructional skills
- Share expertise with staff e.g., through teaching model lessons, presenting workshops, facilitating study groups
- Locate resources for teachers to support instructional improvement
- Demonstrate flexibility and responsiveness
- Professional Responsibilities
- Reflect on practice
- Coordinate work with other instructional specialists
- Participate in a professional community
- Engage in professional development
- Show professionalism, including integrity and confidentiality
- Qualities of an Effective Instructional Specialist
- Model Christ’s teachings through interpersonal skills, respectful relationships and problem solving.
- Establish collaborative relationships with all staff, students, and parents.
- Integrate the school curriculum with the school-wide learning outcomes (SLOs).
- Support curricula established by the school.
- Ensure that personal professional goals are established