Position Title: G5 Mathematics/Science Teacher
Supervisor: Division Principal
Position Summary: It is preferred that candidates be comfortable working independently or co-teaching Mathematics and/or Science. Teachers integrate technology into their teaching. In order to meet Concordia school-wide learning outcomes (SLOs) and grade level expectations, the teacher carries out the following broad and specific responsibilities across the following domains: Planning and Preparation, Classroom Management, Instruction, and Professional Responsibilities.
▪ Bachelor’s Degree in relevant subject area(s)
▪ Advanced degree or specialization training that supports the teaching role
▪ Minimum 2 years successful teaching in a school setting
▪ Working with students with learning needs and ELL
▪ Working in an international school setting and familiarity with the American educational system
▪ Working successfully with an ethnically diverse population
▪ Teaching in the subject area and with the age of students assigned
▪ Creating units of work using ‘UbD’ strategies
▪ Certification or training in ELL support and differentiation
▪ Excellent knowledge of the developmental needs of students in the age group you are teaching.
▪ Knowledge of and experience in using a variety of assessments and differentiated learning techniques.
▪ Grounded in knowledge about teaching and learning
▪ Excellent knowledge of the content and pedagogy
▪ Demonstrates respect for teachers as professionals and as adult learners
▪ Effective communicator – communicates well with a diverse community, proficient writing skills
▪ Highly skillful at using technology
▪ Strong organizational and time management skills
▪ As a school grounded in the Christian faith, we hire Christian teachers and administrators. Concordia seeks to hire candidates who are able to model Christ’s teachings through interpersonal skills, respectful relationships and problem solving, are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality and are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.
▪ Establish collaborative relationships with all staff, students, and parents.
- Engage parents and students in meaningful discussions about student achievement.
- Commit and contribute to the school community—play an active, positive, and supportive role in addressing the needs of the whole child and the ethos of Concordia beyond the classroom. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Serve as an Advisor in our Advisory Program.
- Participation in school-sponsored educational trips that require a teacher to be away from home overnight, such as Grade Level Trips. When a school sponsored event requires students to be away from Shanghai overnight, teachers will be expected to chaperone students.
- Leading co-curricular activities during the year.
- Integrate the school curriculum with the school-wide learning outcomes (SLOs).
- Insightful Learners
- Effective Communicators
- Reflective Spiritual Beings
- Principle-Centered Leaders and Team Members
- Active Global Citizens
- Teach the curricula established by the school.
- Complete all aspects of the standard-referenced curriculum for the current teaching assignment.
- Develop and maintain curriculum maps.
- Select and use school-approved teaching strategies and classroom resources.
- Ensure that personal professional goals are established and completed each year.
- Understanding of employment.
- Oversee, when appropriate, Teacher Assistants/Paraprofessionals/Support Staff in working with or monitoring children and managing clerical tasks.
- On regular school days, all teachers are on duty between 7:45AM and 3:45PM, not inclusive of activities and meetings.
- Undertake additional duties that may reasonably be assigned or requested by the Supervisor.
- Concordia reserves the right to reassign a teacher to a teaching duty commensurate with their educational training and experience. Such a decision will be made by school administrators and be guided by what is in the best educational interest of students and the school as a whole.
Professional Practice/Concordia Fit– see Employee Development Handbook –Appendix A & B for greater detail.
Concordia teachers are expected to function in the Proficient or Distinguished categories.
- Planning and Preparation
- Demonstrating Knowledge of Content and Pedagogy
- Demonstrating Knowledge of Students
- Setting Instructional Outcomes
- Demonstrating Knowledge of Resources
- Designing Coherent Instruction
- Designing Student Assessments
- Classroom Environment
- Creating an Environment of Respect and Rapport
- Establishing a Culture of Learning
- Managing Classroom Procedures
- Managing Student Behavior
- Organizing Physical Space
- Communicating with Students
- Using Questioning and Discussion Techniques
- Engaging Students in Learning
- Using Assessment in Instruction
- Demonstrating Flexibility and Responsiveness
- Professional Responsibilities
- Reflecting on Teaching
- Maintaining Accurate Records
- Communicating with Families
- Participating in the Professional Community
- Growing and Developing Professionally
- Showing Professionalism