Position Title: High School Assistant Principal
Supervisor: High School Principal
Position Summary: The High School Assistant Principal provides assistance to the High School Principal in leadership of the High School program. S/he is responsible for helping to ensure that the policies, facilities, regulations and procedures of the High School are enacted properly.
▪ Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership
▪ Administrative Degree or Certification
▪ Minimum of 5 years successful classroom teaching
▪ Proven success working with a diverse population
▪ Ability to formulate and lead data-driven decisions
▪ As a school grounded in the Christian faith, we hire Christian teachers and administrators. Concordia seeks to hire candidates who are able to model their faith, are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality, and who are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.
▪ Success as an assistant principal or principal
▪ Experience in a Christian school context
Terms of Employment:
- Thirty working days of vacation other than school holidays
- Salary based upon experience
▪ Demonstrates moral integrity, honesty, kindness, faithfulness
▪ Is a person of moral principles
▪ Models a Christian faith walk
▪ Models servant leadership characteristics
Mission Centered-Vision Focused
▪ Is inspirational
▪ Takes personal ownership in fulfilling the mission
▪ Can “see” the future and articulate, plan, and execute next steps
▪ Demonstrates a positive, optimistic, can‐do attitude
▪ Demonstrates a passion for teacher and student success
▪ Focuses instructional leadership on the question of “How does this improve student learning?”
▪ Leads curriculum based on the most recent understanding about learning
▪ Ability to develop, implement, and monitor curriculum and learner progress
▪ Is a leader of learning
▪ Promotes professional development focused on improving student achievement
▪ Observes teachers regularly and provides appropriate feedback
▪ Models lifelong learning.
▪ Respectful of all, builds people up, is equitable in relationships
▪ Is transparent, flexible, and adaptable
▪ Demonstrates commitment to school improvement
▪ Works collaboratively with all in the school and community
▪ Advocates and nurtures a positive school culture conducive to student learning and teacher growth
▪ Demonstrates ability to resolve conflict
▪ Manages the school, operations and resources to provide a productive environment for learning
▪ Demonstrate ability to delegate, empower co‐workers and develop leaders
▪ Clearly communicates, both orally and in written form, to a diverse group of cultures and in diverse settings
▪ Work with students, support staff, parents, and other administrators to address the identified concerns.
▪ Establish collaborative relationships with all staff, students and parents.
▪ Safeguard the confidentiality of privileged information
Professional Attributes and Staff Development
▪ Work collaboratively with other staff members to ensure that personal professional goals are established and completed each year.
▪ Commit and contribute to the school community—play an active, positive and supportive role in addressing the needs of the whole child and the ethos of Concordia beyond the classroom.
▪ Attend as appropriate and participate fully in campus meetings, workshops and seminars called by the school.
▪ Undertake additional duties that may reasonably be assigned or requested by the Head of School/HS Principal.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Serves as adviser to the High School Principal.
- Helps review Admissions Folders throughout the calendar year.
Community Relations Development
- Develops student-focused or learning-focused family and faculty handbooks.
- Coordinates efforts to ensure high quality home/school communication systems are in place.
- Serves on HS Leadership Team.
- Meets regularly with Concordia’s other Assistant Principals to aid with alignment of communication and instructional strategies and tools.
- Serves on the Charity Committee
- Oversees distribution of flyers, posters, and other announcements for the HS community.
- Orients staff and students who are new to Concordia and also helps with the transition processes of those leaving in cooperation with high school counselors.
- Helps HS Leadership in the planning and implementation of HS Parent Coffees.
Recruitment, Staff and Program Development Supervision, & Evaluation
▪ Observes teachers in their classrooms upon request of the High School principal and offers insights for the enhancement of the teaching-learning situation.
▪ Trains new staff on the policies and procedures of the High School.
▪ Assists teachers with grading, assessment, and reporting procedures.
▪ Assists team leaders coordinate the High School academic program.
▪ Organizes and oversees the student teaching program within the High School Program. May serve as a liaison between Concordia and participating universities.
▪ Assists the Principal monitor the professional development program at the High School.
- Assists with student conduct management
- Assists the HS Principal with scheduling class enrollment
- Assists HS Principal with developing and maintaining a safe learning environment (physical plant, safety drills, etc.)
- Oversees the arrival and dismissal of students.
- Monitor ‘at-risk’ students inclusive of managing the academic eligibility program for extra-curricular activities in coordination with the high school counselors.
- Ensures proper implementation of school initiatives.
▪ Coordinates with Team Leaders, Teachers and HS Admin for special events. (i.e. X-plorations for grade 9 and 10, Internship Program for grade 11, HS Chapels, Graduation, Whole-School Assemblies, etc. )