Merchiston International School (MIS)
MIS is a British Boarding School located in Longhua District, Shenzhen, South of China. We are a thriving community that challenges all staff to push boundaries with their teaching and to be progressive in their own professional learning.
We offer an innovative British independent school curriculum for international students aged 4 – 18, starting in EYFS and culminating in IGCSE and A-level. The campus, imbued with the ethos of its founding school, Merchiston Castle School Edinburgh, is designed to create an innovative learning space in which an effective 21st-century education can flourish and inspire.
All MIS teachers are expected to participate fully in the school’s life beyond the classroom by contributing to the Co-Curricular Activities (CCA) programme and boarding house life.
If you are interested in joining us, to teach inquisitive and talented children, in a community that seeks to provide professional development opportunities, then please apply…we want to hear from you!
Planning, Teaching, and Class Management
- Teach allocated students by planning their teaching to achieve progression of learning through;
- Providing clear structures for lessons maintaining pace, motivation, and challenge;
- Ensuring students acquire and consolidate knowledge, skills, and understanding appropriate to the subject taught;
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting
- Mark and monitor students’ work and set targets for progress;
- Undertake assessments of students as requested by examination bodies, departmental and school procedures;
- Undertake assessments of students and participate in the school’s system reporting to parents.
- Be a Form Tutor to an assigned group of students, (some of the following apply if called upon as tutor)；
- Promote the general progress and well-being of individual students and of the Form Tutor Group as a whole；
- Register students, accompany them to assemblies, and encourage their full attendance at all lessons and their participation in other aspects of school life.
Other Professional Requirements
- Always operate within the stated policies and practices of the school;
- Take part in marketing and liaison activities such as Open Evenings, Parents Evenings, Review days, etc.;
- Co-operate with other staff to ensure a sharing and effective usage of resources to the benefit of the school, department, and students;
- Prepare Termly Personal Teaching and Work Report as requested.
Applications are welcomed from candidates who meet the following requirements:
- • A qualified teacher with a UK PGCE or other globally recognised teaching qualification (such as QTS).
- • A minimum of 2 years’ qualified full-time teaching experience.
- • A reflective practitioner, with a positive, resilient personality and problem-solving skill-set.
- • Recent and consistent experience of Co-Curricular Activities
We welcome applicants with experience of working within boarding schools or applicants with a keen interest to participate, live and work within a boarding community. We appreciate that all applicants may not have such experience at present but we welcome applicants with the right approach to a unique part of the MIS experience.
The initial contract will be for a period of three years.