Maynooth International Engineering College (MIEC), in partnership with Fuzhou University, is seeking an excellent English Language Teacher to join our international teaching team and support English Language Provision, which is part of the four Maynooth University (MU) degree programmes delivered to students based on the campus of Fuzhou University, Fujian, China.
1. Location: Fuzhou University, Fuzhou City, Fujian Province.
2. Working Hours:
- Monday to Friday – Government approved holidays observed, University breaks observed (paid)
- Max 21 hours per week, including teaching and office hours.
3. Salary: before tax 18,000 – 21,000 RMB per month.
- 1500 RMB per month house allowance provided.
5. Insurance: provided.
6. Flights: one set of airline tickets to and from Fuzhou per academic year.
7. Visa: must be eligible for working visa.
Standard weekly workload for the English Language Teacher is 21 hours. In addition to creating engaging lessons based on delivery materials, teachers are expected to carry out the following duties:
- Fulfil all relevant administrative and record-keeping tasks associated with teaching support, student progress, learning and assessment (e.g. accurate attendance records, verbal student progress reports).
- Provide and mark both formative and summative assessment tasks and provide suitable verbal and written feedback to students that is reflective of module aims and learning outcomes.
- Provide academic support for students, as appropriate, through consultations and tutorials.
- Populate the MU virtual learning platforms with appropriate content and tasks for students to access.
- Collaborate with colleagues to plan and deliver teaching provision using the materials provided to ensure a positive student learning experience is maintained.
- Allocate time effectively to organise and carry out work and meet all the requirements of the post, and associated deadlines.
- Attend and contribute to regular staff meetings and trainings some of which may be online as needed. Staff meetings are mandatory for all language teachers.
- Act as an invigilator in examinations in addition to participating in any other duties, appropriate to the post as required, and within reason.
- Be contactable and responsive via instant messaging to communicate with Teaching Assistants (TAs), student class groups, and colleagues.
- Respond in a timely manner to students’ questions and queries regarding lesson material and assignments, and to liaise and communicate with TAs to ensure remote online classes are run smoothly.
- Determine, in accordance with relevant policy and procedure, the most appropriate way to handle student queries, including when to refer to other colleagues for further support.
- Competence and confidence in use of ICT, and experience teaching with Microsoft 365 apps (Teams, Class Notebooks, Forms) as well as core Microsoft 365 applications (Excel and PowerPoint) and Tencent Meetings.
Skills & Personal Characteristics
- Team player with can-do approach
- Initiative and determination to make teaching and learning work
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to plan and organise own workload
- Ability to adopt a flexible approach to accommodate changes when required.
- Willingness to learn (and use) new systems, when necessary
- Reflective practitioner, willing to discuss, develop and share teaching approaches and materials
- Awareness of, and sensitivity to, diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Relevant TESOL or CELTA qualification.
- Ideally, minimum of 2 years teaching experience (to include ideally, at least three months of in-classroom experience)
- Familiarity with technologies supporting online teaching and learning.
- Experience of teaching in a Higher Education institution
- Experience of teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Familiarity with the Chinese education system an advantage.
To apply, please submit your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com at Maynooth University, Ireland and firstname.lastname@example.org at Jiete Education (representative recruitment office in Fuzhou City, Fujian, China). The closing date for applications is the 30th June, 2023, but candidates will be assessed on a rolling basis.