The Underwriter is a strategic professional who stays abreast of developments within own field and contributes to directional strategy by considering their application in own job and the business. Recognized technical authority for an area within the business. Requires basic commercial awareness. There are typically multiple people within the business that provide the same level of subject matter expertise. Developed communication and diplomacy skills are required in order to guide, influence and convince others, in particular colleagues in other areas and occasional external customers. Significant impact on the area through complex deliverables. Provides advice and counsel related to the technology or operations of the business. Work impacts an entire area, which eventually affects the overall performance and effectiveness of the sub-function/job family.
- Interface with and support bankers in underwriting requests for commercial credit extensions for new and existing clients with ownership responsibilities for sound credit decisions and compliance with internal procedures/credit risk policy guidelines and standards.
- Prepare a detailed written credit summary of commercial applicants requesting credit by analyzing the business, interpreting the finance need, identifying the strengths and prevailing risk factors and rendering a final credit decision.
- Perform detailed financial analysis on companies, including trend and ratio analysis, and interpret the financial information.
- Perform credit and personal financial statement analysis on obligors, guarantors, and co-borrowers in order to assess repayment capacity based on cash flow statements, tax returns, and statements.
- Perform industry and geographical research and other due diligence as needed.
- Maintain a solid understanding of Citibank products and services – within Small Business/Commercial Banking and the broader organization.
- Maintain compliance with Citibank credit policies/practices and regulatory policies, to ensure business unit is in adherence to the above and receives satisfactory ratings from internal and external auditors.
- Assists business unit goals by continuous identification of process improvements and efficiencies that reduce costs and improve customer service levels. Work with management team on prioritization and implementation of approved actions.
- Provide backup support to Credit Underwriting Group Manager, lead projects and initiatives and mentor lower level Credit Officers as needed.
- Other duties as required to support business unit and company goals.
- Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm’s reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency.
- 8-12 years previous credit authority experience. Prior experience working in a regulatory and compliance policy environment
- Proven analytical skills including the ability to read and assess individual and company financial statements, cash flow, industry/competitive analysis and projections; including complicated business structures with foreign subsidiaries and/or parent organizations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of intermediate accounting theory and its practical application in the credit underwriting process
- Excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking capabilities, attention to detail, and the ability to complete assignments within required deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Effective inter-personal and written/verbal communication skills
- Thorough problem recognition and resolution skills
- Pro-active disposition with ability to work autonomously and within a team Proficient in various spreadsheet and word processing applications (Excel and Word), including the use of graphs and charts and financial analysis software
- Typically deals with complex and variable issues with substantial potential impact, where development of an approach/taking of an action involves weighing various alternatives and balancing potentially conflicting needs.
- Requires good analytical skills in order to filter, prioritize and validate potentially complex material from multiple sources.
- Exercises wide degree of latitude and discretion.
- Significant impact on the area through complex deliverables.
- Provides advice and counsel related to the technology or operations of the business.
- Work impacts an entire area, which eventually affects the overall performance and effectiveness of the sub-function/job family.
- Bachelor’s/University degree, Master’s degree preferred
This job description provides a high-level review of the types of work performed. Other job-related duties may be assigned as required.
Job Family Group:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting