The British School of Guangzhou
Job Title: Teacher of EAL Start date: September 2022
About Nord Anglia Education
Nord Anglia Education (NAE) is the world’s leading premium schools organisation, with 69 schools located across dozens of countries in the Americas, Europe, China, Southeast Asia, India and the Middle East. Together, our schools educate over 67,000 students from kindergarten through to the end of secondary school.
Our philosophy for education rests on the 4 pillars of creativity, wellbeing, excellent academic outcomes and global connectedness. These are delivered through innovative use of educational technology to create a 21st Century, personalised, learning experience for all students.
Every parent wants the best for their child — so do we. NAE schools deliver high quality, transformational education and ensure excellent academic outcomes by going beyond traditional learning. Our global scale enables us to recruit and retain world-leading teachers and to offer unforgettable experiences through global and regional events, while our engaging learning environments ensure all of our students love coming to school.
The British School of Guangzhou
The British School of Guangzhou is at the forefront of international education in China. Established in 2005 for students aged 1-18, our school is recognised for academic excellence leading to outstanding A-Level results and entry to top universities worldwide. The Southlake Campus, a 20-minute drive north of the city centre, enjoys picturesque views over Nanhu Lake and a golf course. All classrooms are attractively furnished, air-conditioned and equipped with WiFi and an interactive whiteboard. The school has impressive resources and facilities including music rooms, a well-equipped fitness room, guided reading rooms, IT zones, a dance studio, libraries, a theatre and several coffee shops for staff and parents. Outdoor facilities include age-specific football pitches, a swimming pool, basketball courts and an adventure playground. In August 2018, we opened a purpose-built Year 1 building to cope with unprecedented demand for places. In February 2021, we will open an additional Primary and EYFS school, for up to 800 students, which will allow us to refurbish much of our current site to meet the growing number of Secondary Students. To find out more about our school you are encouraged to visit our website at https://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/guangzhou
Each Nord Anglia Education school is unique in character and designed to meet the needs of its community. We are united by our philosophy, to be ambitious for our students, our people and our family of schools. We believe that being part of our family of 69 schools gives them a special advantage. Working together, we can achieve more than we can individually. Our schools have access to a wide range of resources and support to enhance their success. We also create unique opportunities to benefit our students and people, such as the Global Campus, Nord Anglia University, and our collaborations with The Juilliard School, MIT, UNICEF and King’s College London.
Global academic results for the 2019/20 academic year
The 19/20 academic year was the strongest for Nord Anglia ever in terms of A-levels, IBDP and GCSE
- Our IB diploma pass rate was 96.9%
- Global point average of 34.4
- Six perfect 45 scores (from ICS Madrid, NAS Dubai, BIS Ho Chi Minh City and three from Oakridge in India)
- 14 Nord Anglia schools had a perfect 100% pass rate
- 1,386 IB candidates in total – 15.8% achieved 40 points and above
- 44% A*-A grades, an increase of 5% from last year
- Global pass rate of 98.5%, up from 97.5% in the previous year
- All but two of our schools offering the A-level curriculum achieved a pass rate of 100%.
- 94% A*-C grades
- 55.6% A*-A grades
About the role (see Job description for full details):
The successful applicant will have a minimum of 2 years relevant experience of teaching English as an additional language and have the ability to deliver a high quality language experience to our students.
We are specifically looking for someone who will:
- Use teaching methods which will engage students through careful planning, effective questioning, good use of resources and a style of delivery that promotes a love of learning;
- Set high expectations for pupils’ behaviour, establishing and maintaining a positive approach to behaviour management through well focused teaching and productive relationships in accordance with the behaviour policy of the school;
- Identify clear teaching objectives, content, structures and sequences of lessons appropriate to the educational needs of the pupils in his/her class;
- Set appropriate, realistic yet challenging expectations for pupils’ learning, building on prior attainment/knowledge;
- Prepare and present informative reports to parents in a professional manner in line with the school’s agreed assessment and monitoring procedures;
- Work with classroom teachers to provide exceptional language provision for all EAL students through use of co-teaching and intervention classes
- Take responsibility for their own professional development and to keep up to date with research and developments in pedagogy as relevant to their own department and mainstream departments;
- Interact on a professional level with colleagues and seek to establish and maintain productive relationships in order to promote mutual understanding of the school curriculum with the aim of improving the quality of teaching and learning in the school;
- Support the EAL department by contributing to school improvement planning;
- Understand the importance of being a role model for learning within the school and throughout the wider community in line with our core values;
- Develop the extra-curricular games provision for our students;
- Hold an EAL/ESL qualification (CELTA or higher is preferred);
- Have a working knowledge of the UK national curriculum in chosen age range;
- Have an understanding of EAL in the mainstream philosophy and practice;
Able to adapt quickly to our fast-paced international environment, you will possess a university degree, a recognised teaching qualification and considerable teaching experience. Committed and creative, you will be reflective on your own teaching and student outcomes, seeking out and implementing new ideas and innovative methods to raise the school’s level of achievement.
Keen to collaborate and share your specialist expertise, you will be a fitting ambassador for the school. You will communicate with confidence across diverse audiences and situations, using your expertise to build strong relationships with parents and students. You will also be able to meet visa-related restrictions for China.
When you join a Nord Anglia Education school, you join a global community of 14,000 people working together to support our students’ success. We offer you unsurpassed opportunities to innovate and develop best practice across our family, to access extensive professional development, and to gain exceptional experience and career development in our schools. At Nord Anglia, you will have opportunities to progress more, learn more, and collaborate more.
We offer unparalleled career and development opportunities that come with being part of our global organisation. Our online Nord Anglia University unites our team by harnessing the collective expertise of peers in an exchange of knowledge, ideas and best practice. We also provide extensive professional development through Nord Anglia University to ensure that our teachers don’t just maintain their skills, they develop at the cutting edge of educational thinking.
Our world-renowned collaborations with The Juilliard School, MIT, UNICEF and King’s College London, offers our teachers unrivalled access to leading experts in their fields. We also offer selected candidates from our staff worldwide an opportunity to earn their Executive Master’s in International Education in an exclusive collaboration with King’s College London.
The successful candidate will enjoy a competitive, local-hire salary in line with colleagues in Shanghai and Beijing, including comprehensive health insurance. Please note, this package does not include housing and flight allowance. You will have the opportunity to live in and work in one of the world’s most vibrant cities. Guangzhou is only 2 hours from the international hub of Hong Kong, which provides our teachers with opportunities for a weekend of shopping, hiking, socialising or relaxing. Due to the comparatively low cost of living in Guangzhou the majority of our staff are able to travel widely across Asia and, are still able to, save over 50% of their salary.
The closing date for application is 31st August 2022. Due to global travel restrictions, all interviews will be conducted via MS Teams or online video calls.
Start date: September 2022
At Nord Anglia Education we are committed to providing a world class, safe, happy environment in which children and young people are able to thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our pupils irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
All post holders in regulated activity (having regular unsupervised contact with children) are subject to appropriate national and international vetting procedures including satisfactory criminal record checks from both your country of residence/birth and any country of residence within the last 10 years.