Location: Guangzhou, East Asia, CN
Company: British Council
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK.
These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
JOB TITLE: Visa and Local Compliance Support Officer
- To process visa and work permit applications to ensure local expatriate staff are in full compliance with the Chinese regulation and rule on employment of foreigners.
- Liaise with HR team to provide local onsite support to ensure full compliance with the British Council HR policies and procedures.
Main accountabilities but not limited to the following:
- Process visa and work permit applications, renewal and termination for expatriate staff
- Contact with relevant government authorities and clarify requirements for obtaining appropriate documentation for expatriates.
- Prepare and arrange necessary documentation for official translation and control the quality for visa and work permit applications.
- Respond to expatriate staff’s visa enquiries, provide accurate guidance on a range of visa and work permit policies and procedures, to regularly communicate relevant updates and news to expatriate staff.
- Liaise with HR team to ensure local expatriates are in full compliance with the British Council HR policies and procedures throughout the employment cycles, e.g., joining, transfer and exit process, etc.
- Liaise with HR team to provide local onsite support to ensure full compliance with the British Council HR policies and procedures, e.g., printing/stamping HR documents, filing and storing employees’ personnel documentation, etc.
- Manage immigration related information created and received in compliance with the British Council’s information management standards, policies, the UK data protection principles and local legislation.
- To ensure all duties are delivered in line with the British Council’s policy on Safeguarding, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and these are taken into account when planning and delivering activity.
- University degree in Business Administration, HR or related discipline.
- Experience in a HR department in a multi-national organization
- Working with expatriates and managing their benefits programmes
- Knowledge in visa and work permit policy
- Managing visas and work permits for non-Chinese nationals in China
- Language Requirement: English B2 (Aptis, IELTS 6.5 or equivalent) and Chinese C1 (HSK 5 or equivalent)
Pay Band: Grade 5
Contract Type: 2 years fixed term contract
Location: Guangzhou, China
Condition of Employment: Local Direct Hire
Applications are welcomed from candidates currently in this location with a natural right to work. Applications are also welcomed from candidates currently based in other British Council country offices. However, please note candidates must have a natural right to work in the country, on a permanent basis, as immigration clearance and/or on-going visa support is not provided by the British Council for this role. Relocation support is also not provided.
Closing Date: Wednesday, 22 February 2023 – 23:59 China Time (GMT +8)
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email [email protected]
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.