Peking University HSBC Business School Description
Peking University HSBC Business School (PHBS) is located in Shenzhen (adjacent to Hong Kong, SAR), PRC, as part of Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School, PHBS is an international business school offering programs leading to master’s degrees in economics, finance, and management, as well as MBA. All instruction is provided in English, and students must write and defend their master’s thesis in English. International students currently make up approximately 20% of the student body within these programs. Internationalization of the Shenzhen Graduate School is an active focus with PHBS leading the way.
The writing course at PHBS is designed to introduce students to academic writing in English. It is an initial engagement with the processes which they will require for their final year dissertation, as well as the fulfillment of other written assignments during their study.
For many second language learners (L2), particularly Chinese students, writing in English has most often been taught as a function of language learning, focused mainly on vocabulary building and grammar, and usually to prepare students for tests. This approach overlooks the act of writing as communication.
Using a communicative approach, this course looks to develop students’ four core skills (listening, reading, speaking, and writing), emphasizing content development through process writing and peer review. This is much more than reproducing language, and at the heart of the process is critical thinking, which transcends second-language acquisition as a higher order skill demanded by employers and universities. Reasoning and argument are paramount, with students writing to think as well as thinking to write. As such, the focus is on students producing a persuasive written academic text, and, ultimately, a defensible master’s thesis.
Job Title: EAP Lecturer
Peking University HSBC Business School is currently seeking EAP lecturers with experience teaching academic writing in English. There is the possibility of either a full or adjunct position.
Main Work Responsibilities:
1. Provide high quality teaching. The full-time teaching load is six three-credit courses per academic year which is segmented into nine-week modules (quarters), with an optional exam in the 10th week. Adjunct faculty are contracted per course.
2. Full-time faculty will support the work of the English Skills Center i.e. holding regular office hours, facilitating tutorials or developing special focus workshops, as needed.
3. Full-time faculty will provide additional relevant school services.
4. Adjunct faculty are exempt from providing additional service to the English Skills Center or to PHBS but must provide office hours or appointment availability to meet with students upon their request.
Work Location: Shenzhen (Xili University Town), Guangdong Province, China
Work Type: Full-time or part-time
Please state in your application a preference for the full or part-time (adjunct) position.
Contract: 1-year contract with possibility to extend to 3-years.
Work Visa/Residence Permit: Provided for full-time faculty; it is expected that adjunct faculty currently live in China and possess a residence permit.
Salary: Highly competitive
Start Date: November 2020
Application Deadline: 1st October, the interviews will be held during the week commencing from 9th October, 2020
– A good first degree;
– Master’s degree in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, ESL/EFL, English Writing and Rhetoric, Communication, or a related field;
– Excellent standard of written and spoken English;
– 2+ years of experience teaching EAP in a higher education institution;
– Experience of writing an extended thesis or scholarly publication;
– Evidence of excellent cultural awareness and intercultural communication skills;
– Evidence of teaching excellence;
– Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students and colleagues;
– Ability to use IT for teaching, assessment and record keeping.
– Previous work and/or study experience in China;
– 2+ years of experience teaching EAP at postgraduate level in a higher education institution;
– PhD in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, ESL/EFL, English Writing and Rhetoric, Communication, or a related field;
– Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL;
– Cambridge DELTA or Trinity DipTESOL;
– Experience of proofreading and editing scholarly publications.
Additional Benefits (full-time faculty):
– Summer and winter break
– Public medical insurance (government Social Security card) or medical insurance subsidy
– Free commute buses
– PHBS Government Housing
Interested candidates should apply by submitting a resume, cover letter, teaching evidence, and any writing samples to [email protected]. Three reference letters need to be submitted separately by your referees to [email protected]. The subject of the email should be “Ref-Your Name”.
If you have any queries regarding the application, please email to Alice Yun [email protected].